Sunday, March 1, 2009

Post Op.

So we're on day two post op for Carter and other than being super clingy, a little whiny at times and hit or miss with eating, he's doing well. He's still tugging on his left ear, and this is the one that has been a little blood crusty on and off since Friday. Is this normal? If it's still bothering him tomorrow I'll take him in.
He's also starting to hate medicine, he use to take Tylenol like a champ and then ask for more, not anymore. He is starting to fight with us each time he gets medicine, which is a lot right now. Two times orally, two times in his ears, and Tylenol at night the last few days. I don't blame him, I'd be a little fed up with it too. I can't tell if he can hear better just yet, but the doctor said we should see results right after the surgery. Other than that, we're doing well and are very proud of our little champ.
I haven't mentioned this, but the hospital staff was amazing. So attentive and really catered to Carters needs. The day op nursing staff was excited to see Carter at 5:30 a.m. and everyone at one point came in to say hello. Could have something to do with Carter pressing the nurse call button about 30 times. He was also lucky enough to receive stuffed animals and blown up surgical gloves with smiley faces on them. What a blessing it was to be so close to home and have such wonderful people working that morning to take care of Carter.
Here are a few pictures from surgery day.
Before surgery at about 6 a.m.

After surgery

We could tell he was still feeling the anesthesia drugs, he watched the entire Toy Story movie. Normally you can't get him to stay still longer than one Wiggles song. Carter surgery survival kit. 1 race car fluffy blanket, 1 Tigger, 1 Giraffe courtesy of Memorial Hermann, 2 trucks, 1 bowl of green jello, 2 cans of apple juice and mommy and daddy to snuggle with.


lynette said...

Wesley was only 9 months when he had the surgery, so it's been awhile, but I don't remember him having bloody or crusty ears. I do remember the medicine though. Thank heavens he was little and couldn't fight us as much!

Kathy said...

Tam had a little drainage the second time not sure if that was because she got her adnoids out also. Take care

Elizabeth said...

The blood and drainage is totally normal. Isaac had it and Mitchell had it. I'm glad to hear that all went well and he is doing so good afterwards. Good luck, I hope you notice an improvement in his hearing and speech!