Sunday, February 26, 2012

Trophy or Gold Star Delivery.

The day Lexie was born we checked into the hospital at 7:30 a.m. (we were running late due to weather and a need for a bowl of Cream of Wheat that morning.) The plan was to have my OB come break my water before 8 a.m. and see what my body would do. Hoping it would kick right into labor. By the time I actually checked into the hospital I was dilated to a 5+ and 80 effaced. I was half way through labor before it actually even started. I guess that would be the silver lining to being in early labor for almost six weeks.
For weeks prior to this day I talked with my mom about having a natural labor/delivery. I never really decided either way, but I was constantly thinking about it. Wondering what my body could do and what I could handle. I kept thinking I am already half way there, maybe I could do this. I also never really mentioned this to anyone other than my mom, just in case, I didn't want to commit either way. If I told anyone it would feel like a commitment. I wanted to just see how it went.
Fast forward to that morning. My water is broken and then Mike and I walk the halls for an hour. Laps and laps. We began talking about labor, could I really do it natural. Could I handle that. I remember saying to him, "Either way they don't give out gold stars or trophies for having a natural delivery." I could back down at anytime and get the epidural.
I was tired so we turned down the lights and the nurse gave me 30 minutes to rest. The 

anesthesiologist came in to talk and sign forms. I was nervous about the epidural, not sure why I had one with both boys, but this time I was nervous. I told her I hadn't decided and was going to see how it goes.
My lower back started to ache, contractions started to come, we walked a little more and then made our way back to the room to be monitored. My great nurse came to check on me and gave me some positions and things I could do to help with the contractions and back labor.
At 10:45 a.m. active labor started. It came slowly at first and then like a freight train it hit hard and fast and never let up. My contractions would come fast and hold strong. Even the nurse commented on how long they were. (This is why my deliveries go fast.) I was breathing through them, relying very much on Mike to rub my back, help me focus and tell me I could do it. I remember once the first real contraction hit crying and telling him I wanted the epidural. Once the contraction stopped  and I could think again I told him never mind.
More intense waves of contractions came and I only had small moments between them to recoup. I asked the nurse to check me and I was almost an 8. I had moved from a 6 to 8 in 15 minutes. She called the OB to come over.
Sometime in the midst of this my mom came. I was focused on breathing, eyes tight shut, holding Mike's entire arm across my body for comfort. Just breathe. I'm not going to lie, it was brutal. The moment when my body began to transition it was brutal. It's amazing what the body can do and what happens during labor. The feelings of nausea letting you know you are close, then the feeling when your legs tingle because the baby is moving down. The OB came in and I pleaded to her to take the baby out. I even pleaded for an epidural at one point- however it was far too late- and I knew that is was almost over. But mostly I just closed my eyes and took deep breaths, then short little breaths. At one point I believe everyone in the room was breathing with me, mom, husband, both nurses and my OB.

I was finally there - a 10, it was time. I think I pushed for 5-10 minutes and in about 3 good pushes our little girl came into the world. At 12:34 p.m. Lexie was here. What a relief, a literal relief of everything. The pain and pressure gone. She was here, it was over. She had the cord wrapped around her neck twice, but I was told my doc was really quick to untangle her. She was healthy and she was here. I had done it.
Once she was cleaned up and looked over by the pediatrician they put her in my arms and I fell in love immediately. This was our little girl, the one we've been waiting for. Finally here in our arms and feisty as ever. Her lungs definitely worked and she already had an opinion.  
I remember looking at her, then looking up at Mike and telling him I deserved a gold star or a trophy after that. I still believe this. Gold stars for sure are much deserved!
I wasn't out of control, I didn't yell at anyone or scream. The OB and nurse told me I was really controlled and I was surprised.
After going through a natural labor and delivery I have a much better understanding of the pain scale. A better understanding and appreciation for my body. I'm proud of myself and so happy things went well. I felt better after the delivery than I had with the boys deliveries and I really feel like Lexie and I both recovered quicker.
Our first few moments together with our little girl.
 On the scale. 7 lbs 10 ozs.
 Lexie's first bath at the hospital with our nurse Louise. 
Holding Lexie after delivery. New babies are miracles and pieces of heaven. I know we've been so immensly blessed and am grateful for it all.
Hugs, A

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! As I read your post I was reliving my experience with natural birth. It is truly amazing what we are capable of. You have every right to feel proud. Way to go Momma!

Em and Tom said...

Tears. I always cry when I read your posts. So happy for you:)

ChadandCory said...

Love you sis, Lexie is beautiful!

C and C

Laura said...

That's awesome that you did it natural! No easy task. Sounds like you did an amazing job! I'm so glad it went well. She's as beautiful as you are!

Erica Huff said...

Congratulations Angie! She is beautiful! I had my last baby natural as well and the pain scale is a whole new story now. I got hurt the other day and my husband asked me to rate the pain. Compared to childbirth everything is a 1 or 2 now. I am glad you were able to do what you wanted and yes, you deserve a trophy or a gold star!

Mama Wisch said...

Yay Angie! So happy your baby girl is here! Way to rock the natural birth, honestly it's one of most proud moments for me in my life. It's empowering how strong we really are! I hope all is well! Good luck with three kiddos : )