Monday, April 25, 2011

Dog.

I miss our dog this week. Stieger you are missed buddy. The boys miss you, I miss you.

The first week we brought you home, you were so little. Who knew Mike would ever cave and let me take you home.

Wish you were here, although at this point, I doubt you'd want to trade the farm life for the desert either. The boys still talk about you and Carter pretends to name any animal he sees your name. I believe this is his way of pretending you are here with us on this adventure.

This week as I laid on the couch with a blanket over my legs I wished you were there to snuggle behind my knees and sleep. I've missed the way you turn your little head when we talked to you.

I missed you as I watched other families walk their dogs and I missed you when the boys chucked their hot dogs under the table. You were always so helpful with kitchen clean up.

Thank you Grandma Izzy and mom for taking in our dog when we took this job. For lightening our load by giving our little guy a place to call home.

There may be a long airplane ride to the desert in your future buddy. But that will have to be in the winter when it's safe for you to travel again into the sandbox.

*Post edit. We tried to get him here. At the time we were coming there were restrictions in place to not allow small dogs into the country. Random, yes. Went through all of the paperwork and hoops to jump through in the States. Including having the vet write a letter that he was medium size and a guard dog for the family. Also, having my mom take forms to the State department in DC for us to have them signed for the dog before she jumped on the plane to Houston. We did all we could in the US and shipped the paperwork to Saudi and waited.

The entire time our relocation person for SA kept telling us he wouldn't get in because he was a terrier. She wasn't optimistic at all. It was pretty crushing actually. So without hearing anything from SA, although we were calling a lot- we sent him with my mom right after we closed on the house.

The kicker is two weeks after we arrived Mike received an email saying our dog was approved. But by then it was too late. We were already here and he was already in VA.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I pulled up your blog and Madeline says, "That's my friend Owen Mom." I love that she recognizes him as that. :)

I didn't know you had a dog you left behind. How come you guys decided not to bring him? I know getting Kitty over here was a lot of work and money so I can see why someone might make that decision. How nice your family could keep him for you though.

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

Edith, We tried. Went through all of the paperwork and hoops to jump through in the States and were waiting to hear from the Saudi side. The entire time our relocation person for SA kept telling us he wouldn't get in because he was a terrier. So without hearing anything, although we were calling a lot- we sent him with my mom.

The kicker is two weeks after we arrived they sent Mike an email saying he was approved. But by then it was too late. Maybe this winter when we go back for repat we can bring him back with us.

Lindsay said...

I can't get over how big Carter is starting to look...he is turing into a real "boy!" You guys have been super busy but it looks like you have been having fun!