Monday, January 17, 2011

Tears.

First morning EVER for me to drop Carter off at preschool and cry. It's been a rough week for him and it was hard to leave him. It's not like him at all to cling to me and have to be pried off by a teacher to stay. This proved to be too much for me today. I had to turn and leave him, once I got out the door I cried. I'm hoping this will be the low point and everything will go up and back to normal tomorrow.

Carter was moved into the older class last week when school started. He is now the second youngest in his little class and it's mostly girls. This has been a big adjustment for him. Not necessarily being the youngest, but being with a whole new set of kids. For the past week he's been coming home and telling me "those guys are not my friends... (this person) is mean and not my friend." When we skyped with the grandparents last night and this is what he chose to tell them, I knew there was something up.

I'm grateful he's in a preschool with one of the most loving and attentive ladies ever. She quickly responded and addressed my concerns. She and his teachers today paid special attention to Carter to figure out what indeed is happening.

I believe, well we believe, he's having a hard time adjusting to the new class and may be having some insecure feelings. The person he says is "mean" is actually the one that he desperately wants to be friends with. He's having to step up his game and learn to socialize on a different level with the older kids.

Carter likes to growl and talk in a deep raspy voice. He doesn't understand that other kids don't like this, and well his family doesn't either. He is having to learn what things are ok and what things are not. It is not ok, to growl at your friends. It is not ok to be mean to them. If you do those things, they won't want to be friends with you.

These things seem so easy to us. But when you look at it through a three year old eyes you realize they aren't. There is so much to teach him, so much to show him and so much love that he needs to be given to be reassured that he is special, loved and great.

There's a lot that I need to learn as a mom of a three year old too. I want him to be happy. I want him to enjoy school, playing with his friends and learning. Having him come home and report to me each day what has happened is a big step. It's hard not being there with him to protect him and know exactly what is happening. I can't even imagine how it will be when he goes to real school, or middle school, or yikes- high school and when both boys are teenagers.

I later received an email this afternoon from his teacher with some more encouraging news. One of his best buds Lawson is being moved into his class and she thinks this should help. I agree, this is fantastic news and I know both boys will be excited to see each other.

No comments: