Sunday, November 9, 2008

Four Weeks.

Owen is four weeks today. I can't believe that he is here and I can't believe how quickly the last four weeks have gone. It seems to have been a whirlwind of unexpected obstacles, full of tears of joy and sorrow, lots of sleepless nights and heart felt prayers, lots of hugs and kisses, and now lots of juggling between our little toddler, Carter and our new baby, Owen. It hit me today, now that my mom is gone and Mike was at church all afternoon, I was home alone with both babies for an extended period of time... oh my gosh... I have two babies. When did that happen? It seems like just yesterday we were going through the fertility process and thought we'd never have children. Now, four years later we've been blessed with two boys and we couldn't be any happier.

Carter is adjusting, not very quickly, but each day he realizes more and more that Owen is here to stay and that he has to share his mommy with this new baby. But then he has moments where he is so attentive and interested in Owen and I think that maybe this transition won't be so hard. Carter loves to hold Owen, supervised :), and when we pick Owen up from his lap he cries. It's adorable. I just hope they will become good friends as they grow up and we make it through the rough housing that I know will come. If they will be anything like Mike and his brother Bryan, I know I am in for a challenge. :)
Owen is doing great being home. Last week I took him back into the pediatrician and he now weighs 8 lbs 15 ozs and is over 21 inches long. He's finally kicked the jaundice and is starting to look more Caucasian than orange. His hair is starting to lighten a little as well. Owen rarely cries and loves to be swaddled. I really think he picked that up from the NICU.
He's already so different from Carter. He actually sleeps, which Carter didn't until month four. He's also a quite sleeper. He's in our room in a crib on the other side of the room and I barely hear him, whereas Carter we heard all night making little baby noises and such. Last week, Owen slept two nights in a row for over 7 hours. For the most part since he's been home he'll sleep for about 5 hours straight and then nurse and sleep for another 3 or 4. He likes to be up later in the evening, which is fine by me, with Carter asleep it's nice to have one on one awake time with Owen, and this way Mike can spend time with him awake as well. So I've been giving him a bath each night at about 8 or nine and then we put him down for the night at midnight and he sleeps until the morning, between 5am-7am. I'm still trying to figure out how to get him down for the night earlier and make his schedule work and not have to wake up between 1 and 4am. For some reason getting up at 5 is much easier.
Here are a few pictures of our boys from this past week .
Carter at the park. The poor guy was going nuts trapped in the house for three weeks. So on a beautiful day we ventured out and he loved it!
Owen at the park, he didn't even make it out of the car seat. Owen relaxing.
Carter loves to eat pudding thanks to the Dille grandparents. :) Only he insists on feeding himself and feeding daddy as well.

4 comments:

Heather said...

It's so good to hear that Owen is doing so well. It is a huge adjustment but it sounds like you're doing great! If it makes you feel better I think my second was the hardest. After that second one it gets easier.

matt and brynnzie said...

I'm glad that things are looking up. I am truly jealous of the sleeping for 5 to 7 hours at night. If I could just get the twins to do that, I could cope with life. What's the secret?

Carter looks so big. Congrats!!

lynette said...

ok, so i'm totally behind, but CONGRATS! you have the most beautiful babies (love that hair!) sorry he had a rocky start, but things seem to be looking up for you guys. i can't wait to squish him when we come home for the holidays!

Cody and Jessie said...

Angie, I can't even stand how cute Owen is!! His hair is killer! It's good to hear that Owen is doing so well at home, and fun to see pics of your cute fam. I need to call you one of these days so we can really talk and catch up.